Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Austin Says the Darndest Things...


Austin is growing up way too fast! I can't believe he will be two in less than a month! He has such a funny personality & is always making us laugh. He repeats just about everything we say, including some things that I wish he wouldn't repeat. :) What makes us laugh the most are the things that he comes up with on his own. Here are some of the things he has said lately:

I put gel in my hair & did it curly one day. Luke came home & said, "Hey curly" when he walked in the door. Since then Austin will come up to me & say, "Hey curly. Wanna kiss curly?"

If I say, "Austin gives the...." he finishes by saying, "Best loves & kisses."

Out of the blue he will walk up to us & say, "Kiss, love, squeeze." Then he gives us kisses & hugs.

A few weeks ago Luke got Austin out of his crib from his nap. Luke asked him if he could have a kiss & Austin said, "Thanks for the kiss, dad!"

If I say, "Austin is the...." he says, "Best boy ever!"

We were playing basketball in his room & when I made a basket he ran over to me & said, "Good job mom!"

My favorite is when out of the blue he says, "I love you, mama."

Yesterday I was cleaning the kitchen after lunch & he said, "Thanks for lunch, mom."

Barkley was whining one day & Austin said, "Don't be sad Barkley. I love you so much."

He was trying to sit on Barkley & ride him one day. When Barkley wasn't having any of that, Austin chased him around the apartment yelling, "I'm gonna murder you, Barkley!"

When he wants something he asks by saying what he wants us to say. For example, if he wants his sippy cup of milk, he says to us, "Want your milk?" If he wants something that he knows he probably can't have at the moment (like fruit snacks before breakfast) he says, "Sure, you can have fruit snacks, that will be just fine." And he nods his head "yes" at the same time.

He has the most amazing memory. One of his favorite things to say is, "Remember...." and he'll say something that he remembers from months ago.



He is such a good helper & cleans his room really well! I love that he helps out but I'm a little worried that I have raised him to have OCD. He won't just throw toys in his toy box. Some of his toys are kept in his closet & he knows which ones they are. If I put them in the wrong spot, he fixes them. His latest obsession is with fuzz & crumbs. If there are crumbs in his high chair before he climbs into it, he says, "Daddy will get those yucky crumbs." Barkley has a lot of toys that he likes to chew the fuzz off of. If there is a piece of fuzz on the floor Austin will say, "Mama will get that yucky piece of puzz." I ran his bath water a couple of nights ago & took his socks off right before I put him in the tub. Some of the lint from his blue socks got into the bathtub & he wouldn't sit down in the water because he wanted me to get the "yucky puzz out of the tub." I had to drain the water & let him take a shower instead. I don't know how to get him over his fear of lint, fuzz & crumbs. I feel like I just need to make him play outside in the mud! Any suggestions?

Yesterday he climbed onto our bed while Barkley was laying on it. Barkley sheds quite a bit & Austin came walking into the kitchen lint rolling his own shirt! It was so funny, but again, I'm worried that he has OCD!

One morning I asked him if he needed a diaper change. He said, "No, I have fresh buns."

He can spell his own name out loud.

He loves to listen to Luke's punk music & he can even sing along to some of the songs. Luke taught him to use different toys like his plastic bowling pin as a microphone.

He got a can of grapefruit out of the pantry a while ago & I told him that I didn't think he would like it. Now when he doesn't want to try something new he says, "I don't think you'll like it."

If he can't find something he says, "Maybe we lost it."

When Barkley barks in the apartment he tells him to stop barking because "It's just the neighbors."

His birthday is coming up next month & when I asked him what he wanted to do on his birthday he said, "Open presents."


I was in the kitchen & turned around to him reading a book all by himself. He loves books!



He loves to play at the park.



Luke was out of town, so my friend Stella (who Austin adores) slept over. Austin was so excited to see that she was still here on Saturday morning! She brought him a box of his favorite cereal, Lucky Charms. I love the look on his face! She made his day!

A couple weeks ago Stella taught Austin how to push your cheeks together & say, "I think the elevator closed on your face." Austin & I were in the car the other day & he was sitting in his car seat with his puppy saying, "I think the elevator closed on your face, puppy."



We couldn't have asked for a better kid. I'm not sure what we did to deserve such a sweet little boy, but I think we'll keep him. :) 

7 comments:

Shannon Heugly said...

Wow, he is growing so fast! He is so smart. I love the things he says almost as much as you do, problem is, I hardly ever get to hear them! Tell him Aunt Shannon would like one of those kisses he gives out. I sure do miss you guys!

Anonymous said...

What a cutie! He is so smart and is such a talker, wonder where he gets that from? (Not Luke, that's for sure.)

Jo Lynn said...

So sweet Amber!! I can't believe how grown up he looks in that last picture! Looove all the sayings..it just gets better the older they get with what comes out of that mouth. Miss ya, hope you're feeling well!!

Elizabeth said...

What an amazing kid! I just can't believe the long sentences he comes up with! Love his football PJs -- Davis has the same pair! You should really move in by us and Austin and Davis can be twins :)

Ashley said...

Such a smart little boy! He is getting so big!! Kade helped pick out his birthday present the other day. He is excited to mail it to his friend Austin!

Bryce and Kella Allfrey said...

I can't believe how big he is getting!! He's such a little stud!! Happy Birthday to him in a couple days :) How are you feeling? I hope you're getting better and things are good :) We miss you guys!

Nancy said...

Amber, all of these comments are so...........true. Your little Austin is so smart and very adorable. You and Luke have done such a GREAT JOB raising him. I am sure your other little boy will be just as smart. Can't wait to meet both of them some day.....Austin will look SO BIG when you bring the new baby home. Love and miss you so much.